The Basement
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike's Basement, a forum for playing Mike's D and D games. Click 'Index' for the posts and games, click 'Portal' for a website front page.

HomeFront PageGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Eberron One

Go down 
+3
Cole
ehiker133
DM
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

Eberron One - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime10th December 2010, 10:43 pm

Ok, we'll continue to wait for an audience with Lord Vom, then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 12:35 am

After a wait of about 10 - 15 minutes, the man pictured below opens one side of the far doors and walks briskly toward you.
Eberron One - Page 30 Lordvo10

Another man, much older, with a bald pate and a ring of grey hair, follows after him, apparently having some difficulty keeping up. The first man introduces himself as he's walking toward you. "I am Lord Vom, and this is my assitant, Lerin Ziv. I apologise for the wait, and I am delighted to meet you." He gives each of you a short but smoothly relaxed bow as he shakes each of your hands, bowing deeply to kiss Caby's hand.

"It's not often I'm able to greet representatives of two houses at once. Have you already secured lodgings in Vulyar?"
Back to top Go down
http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 2:44 am

Caby introduces herself and her associates.

"Yes, we have acquired lodgings already. The accommodations are quite adequate to our humble needs." She smiles gracefully.

"Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, Lord Vom. We do not mean to take up any more of your valuable time than necessary. We heard of some troubles you might be having in the northeast and wanted to know if we could be of service in resolving them."
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 3:07 pm

"Ah, I see. Well, very good. My lands and town lie a full day's journey east on the Orien Trade Road. Two nights on the road by foot, at least. There is a waysign then for an unpaved road north to the hamlet of Vom. There have been several disappearances there among my families to the north of the hamlet, but my steward there has too much work on his hands and has been unable to divine the nature of the threat." He gets a very serious look about him. "I must tell you, I feel certain that occult forces are at work here. If you are ill-prepared to deal with such things, I am not disposed to send you to your doom. But know this also, that I would have any who would bring harm to my families be dealt with in the most severe fashion."
Back to top Go down
Cole

Cole

Character sheet
Name: Ducats Deneith
Class: Thief

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 3:10 pm

Ducats scratches the back of his head under his wig in thought, then says,

"What do you mean by "certain occult forces?" "
Back to top Go down
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 3:51 pm

Caby adds, "We are prepared, to some degree, to handle many things. As Ducats indicates, whether or not we would be able to handle 'occult forces' would certainly depend on what you mean. And it could be entirely possible that we just need to make some equipment adjustments for such a challenge... as such, anything you might be able to provide would be appreciated."
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 5:00 pm

"We should speak about this in greater detail. Please, come with me." Lord Vom and Lerin Ziv then lead you through the doors at the end of the hall. They take you around a couple of corners in a richly appointed hallway, and then up a narrow stairway letting off from the side. You eventually come out onto the gallery you saw from below, in the entry hall. You are led along the wide rear gallery to one of the doors you saw from below. Entering it, you find yourselves in a 15'x20' sitting room with an ornately carved wooden table, high-backed chairs with carved arms and velvet seats, and curiosities and books on walls and a couple smaller tables. A silver tea service is already set out on the table, with a number of cups matching your group, and a large silver platter of kolatchies and kifli bread.

Lord Vom motions to the table "please, be seated. Lerin, old friend, would you do the honours?" His assistant pours tea for all of you.

He then proceeds to tell a lengthy tale regarding the Claw Pit. During the early days of the Last War, The Emerald Claw constructed secluded bases all over Karrnath. It became clear, over time, that many of them had to do with developing the undead troops which the kingdom came to rely upon during the war. Much like any research, it was never seen as complete. It is believed that many of the bases involved in undead research continued trying to improve and expand upon their successes.

The purpose behind the station in the edge of the hills north of Vom, which came to be known locally as the Claw Pit due to it being constructed in a ravine, was never known for sure outside of the Emerald Claw. However, beginning a few years after its construction, disturbing dreams plagued the farmers living closest to it, leading to an eerie reputation. After the Emerald Claw were outlawed as traitors, and the army cleared out the base, the disturbing dreams did not stop. Over the years since, there have been isolated disappearances, but in the last several weeks it has become an epidemic.

Lord Vom has seen disconnected references before to 'the mass,' and important warnings that members of the Emerald Claw must "attend the mass." He believes this means the cultists who once lived in and conducted research at 'the pit' somehow unleashed a dark elder being through the combined influence of their necromantic research and twisted religion.
Back to top Go down
Cole

Cole

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 5:21 pm

"Your lordnees, we have seen a lot of goblins in that area too, behaving real weird, for goblins, even. Perhaps even some of them have turned to cancelabism, not like the civilized ones."

Ducats pauses for a moment, regarding his own, puzzled reflection in the surface of his cup of tea.

"I thought them Claws, actually, were known for being all racial against various people. Is it odd for them to be employing goblins?"
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 5:32 pm

"You say you've seen goblins in the area? Interesting.. And no, the Emerald Claw would never employ goblins, but I'm sure there haven't been any actual Claw in the area for many years, since the army ran them out. The Emerald Claw, although officially disbanded, still exists of course. They cluster in little groups across Khorvaire, working their mischief. A group was recently brought to justice in Sharn, for example."
Back to top Go down
Cole

Cole

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 5:34 pm

[OOC : Mike, how widely known is the Emerald Claw / Blood of Vol alliance in your version of Eberron?]
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime12th December 2010, 6:33 pm

Cole wrote:
[OOC : Mike, how widely known is the Emerald Claw / Blood of Vol alliance in your version of Eberron?]

A total mystery to all but the Illuminati themselves. The EC is basically now seen as a fringe 'terrorist' group of very small numbers. The BoV is outlawed as well, but rumors abound that underground worshipers can be found throughout the kingdom, though it would be a potentially dangerous social gaffe to ask the wrong person for their whereabouts. The deeper nature of both these sects is unknown to even their low-level members.
Back to top Go down
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 12:06 am

"Lord Vom, as Ducats has generalized, we did run across goblins in the area of the Claw Pit about a week ago. Working under the invitation of local farmers concerned about missing persons in the area, we entered and cleaned the Claw Pit out of its goblin inhabitants, some 15 - 17 goblins in all. We did find an abandoned and pilfered laboratory in the Claw Pit and evidence of something more sinister, by way of a barred and locked door in the laboratory, that we dared not pursue further at the time."

"If you desire, we can further investigate this matter, but it could also be that the issue of missing persons was wholly related to the goblin activity, which has since been abated in the most complete and utter methods at our disposal."
While uttering the last few words, Caby pats the pommel of her short sword.

"If you would like us to determine the contents of the locked and barred door, it is something we would consider undertaking. We only ask that we have a chance to discuss the topic of possible necromancer activities with knowledgeable members of your staff so we have the information necessary for defeating whatever opposition we might come across during such activities."
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 12:20 am

Lord Vom rises from his chair and bows to you. "My dear lady, I am overwhelmed. If this is the case, I owe you all a great debt of gratitude. Which of my families contacted you?" He sits again. "Please, all of you, take your time and retell to me this adventure."
Back to top Go down
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 12:56 am

Caby begins, "We happened upon young Karl Erhurr Jr. near the rail station in town. He was penniless, having spent or been swindled out of all the money his father had sent with him to try and find someone to help them. Karl's neighbor had recently disappeared and he was worried that his family might be next..."

She continues with the rest of the story, telling it as truthfully as she can recall, only glossing over how Jaral was healed by her newly discovered Dragon Mark power - she's not fully sure of what all it does herself, so she isn't comfortable talking about it with anyone yet. But she does not gloss over the near-loss of Jaral and Ducats or the true loss of their hireling. She points out that Ducats continually proved his worth in battle.

She ends by indicating they searched the surrounding area out as best they could but could find no further tracks or signs of other goblin activity.
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 1:39 am

"If you are able to run across this so-called adventurer who swindled young Karl, you have my permission to deal with him as you will." He reaffirms his appreciation for your heroic efforts, and insists that the four of you accept the gift of 2 riding horses and 2 ponies, as well as 50 gold for each of you.

He is concerned, deeply, about the barred door in the old Emerald Claw laboratory. He asks Lerin Ziv to do a reading, in answer to which Ziv produces a deck of ivory cards, richly illuminated. Lerin lays the cards in a pattern on the table, slowly reading them as the pattern develops over about ten minutes. Finally, he advises Lord Vom that a threat indeed broods within The Pit, but now is not the time to face it. Your party must progress through other dangers first, before the universe will grant the knowledge which will allow you to bring down this threat. He is quite clear, though, that it is indeed your party which is meant to defeat it.

Lord Vom is apparently reassured by this information, and also pleased about your continued involvement.

He now goes on to say that his gracious host here at Castle Bors, the Countess Xeria ir'Borutau, may have several difficulties and intrigues to which your demonstrated talents might prove equal. She is quite busy today, and is taking no audiences, however. On the other hand, he lets you know that you would be suitably rewarded for handling other such goblin incursions in the area, or indeed for assisting his steward in Vom with other difficulties, should you find yourselves out in the area of his own lands again. He looks forward to being able to rebuild the manor house of the Berg family.
Back to top Go down
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 2:12 am

Caby is taken aback by the generosity of Lord Vom! She bows deeply and says, in all honesty, "We did not undertake the venture for the purpose of monetary gain - it was just the right thing to do. But we humbly accept your gifts and would be glad to put them to service further assisting you and Countess ir'Borutau."

"Do you know when the Countess might again be receiving visitors? We would surely like to speak with her regarding any tasks she might have. Likewise, we would be happy to assist you should you hear of any further troubles up in Vom."

"We have accommodations for the rest of the week at the Blacktree Inn. If we move to someplace else, we'll be sure to let you know."

[OOC]
Do the horses and ponies come with tack (harness, saddles, saddle bags, etc)?

Last edited by ehiker133 on 13th December 2010, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Llama

Llama

Pig

Character sheet
Name: Jaral Barrelstout

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 11:00 am

Jaral joins Caby in bowing. "Thank you, Lord Vom. We will use these resources to further protect the families under your care."
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 1:04 pm

"I will make sure the Countess knows of your desire to speak with her, and to offer her your assistance. A page will be sent to you at the Blacktree with word of an audience. I will likewise send word to you should I have need of your talents.

"Ah, the Blacktree.. a fine old inn. There was a time, years ago, in the days of my grandfathers, when it sat at the edge of the town."

He rises, as does Lerin, wrapping up the meeting. "Let us retire to the stables. Please, follow me."

He leads you back down and out through the main entrance, by which you entered. Walking around the back of the castle you eventually arrive at the stables and have the assistance of the ostler in selecting your mounts. They are fully equipped with saddle and tack, as well as saddlebags, before you leave.

As you are choosing horses and talking with the ostler, Lord Vom mentions that tomorrow you should also stop by The Swan Inn downtown and speak with his secretary there. He thanks you again and bids you farewell as you ride off.
Back to top Go down
Llama

Llama

Pig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 2:08 pm

Jaral watches Ducats mount his horse, then attempts to use the same process climbing aboard his pony. While hoisting himself up a stirrup, he catches a whiff of animal and immediately stops climbing, content to smell the pony for a few moments.

He finally gets into the saddle and manages to get the little pony pointed in the right direction. Luckily, it seems more interested in following the larger horses than causing problems for the little halfling. Every now and then he catches a smell of the pony, and considers mixing a dose of molasses into his brew when they get back to the tavern. To the rest of the group he simply appears to be deep in thought.

After a bit he guides the pony next to Caby's. "Caby," he begins, "although I do like the workmanship of your pendant, have you considered what you will be doing with the fortunes you find during your travels? Have you considered saving for a house in Gatherhold? You know your parents would be more comfortable in a warm home, especially during the winters. None of us are getting younger, you know!" He tips a wink at the young halfling.

Last edited by Llama on 13th December 2010, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replace "hobbit" with "halfling". Dammit)
Back to top Go down
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 4:11 pm

Llama wrote:

After a bit he guides the pony next to Caby's. "Caby," he begins, "although I do like the workmanship of your pendant, have you considered what you will be doing with the fortunes you find during your travels? Have you considered saving for a house in Gatherhold? You know your parents would be more comfortable in a warm home, especially during the winters. None of us are getting younger, you know!" He tips a wink at the young hobbit.

[OOC]
Pbtbtbtbth... Saving coin doesn't net you additional XP! Can't expect to live another 20 years if I don't get more HP and skills from leveling!

[IC]
Caby picks out a black pony with a white star on his forehead. "I think I'll call him Mitch."

After he is outfitted with his black leather saddle, harness, bit and bridle and some black leather saddle bags, she spryly hops up onto him and nudges him forward with a short clicking noise and a gentle kick of her heels. Having grown up around pack ponies, Caby is quite comfortable around and on them (though she is still weary of their draft horse, Franz, for obvious reasons).

She quickly catches up to Jaral. Upon hearing the sage-like advice of her uncle, she turns her head and rolls her eyes. "Ah... while it is somewhat conceivable that my mom would consider a move to Gatherhold at some point in her later years, I feel confident in saying dad would rather live out his life on the plains. Don't you agree?"

She thinks for a minute, trying to figure out how to best phrase her thoughts...

"I do appreciate your sentiments, uncle. But surely I don't have to justify upgrading my armour to you." She glances over at the dent in his shoulder where the goblin arrow had pierced between the joints just a week earlier.

"In regards to the pendant, consider this - What appears to you to be a frivolous expense is really just a way of making my savings more portable. Instead of 45 lbs of copper and electrum coin such as Tragor and Ducats have back at the inn, I have a small pendant I can tuck nice and safe under my tunic that weighs not much more than a few ounces. And, by its design, I can add more value to it over time as I acquire the means, without adding much weight or bulk to my purse. In addition, I honor Olladra in a way fitting her desires for bringing Father Quince into my life."

She continues, in a whisper, "I'm not sure how or why, but I feel he has something to do with the dragon mark newly arrived on my side. The dragon mark, I might add, which I used to bring life back into your body, uncle! You would do well to honor her, too!"

And then, in her normal voice, "But you are right. I should begin saving something up, if not to move my parents to Gatherhold, then to at least help keep them and the tribe in supplies when times are tough. So after outfitting Mitch here with a few things we might need over the coming months, like some rope, spare arrows, a few torches and maybe a winter blanket, I will move the bulk of my remaining coin into an account at the Kundarak bank for safe keeping."

She looks at him, raises her eyebrows, and smiles, "Happy?"

[OOC]
I'm working on another chapter of backstory, which is really going to end up being a story line of what we're doing, so that's how the halfling cleric has a name.

Oh, and Mitch is the name of my black shetland pony I had when I was a little boy. He had a black saddle with bits of silver in the trim. I'm sentimental like that...
Back to top Go down
Llama

Llama

Pig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 5:05 pm

Jaral carefully listens to Caby, nodding as she makes her opinion known.

"I understand that you have your own dreams and ideas for the future. You just do what you think is best, girl, and I'll worry about the happiness of those who care about you."

He appears surprised that he just said this out loud, then smiles weakly and nudges the pony away from Caby, possibly preferring a more quiet ride back to the inn.
Back to top Go down
ehiker133

ehiker133

Buffalo

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 6:44 pm

DM wrote:
"I will make sure the Countess knows of your desire to speak with her, and to offer her your assistance. A page will be sent to you at the Blacktree with word of an audience. I will likewise send word to you should I have need of your talents.

"Ah, the Blacktree.. a fine old inn. There was a time, years ago, in the days of my grandfathers, when it sat at the edge of the town."

He rises, as does Lerin, wrapping up the meeting. "Let us retire to the stables. Please, follow me."

He leads you back down and out through the main entrance, by which you entered. Walking around the back of the castle you eventually arrive at the stables and have the assistance of the ostler in selecting your mounts. They are fully equipped with saddle and tack, as well as saddlebags, before you leave.

As you are choosing horses and talking with the ostler, Lord Vom mentions that tomorrow you should also stop by The Swan Inn downtown and speak with his secretary there. He thanks you again and bids you farewell as you ride off.

We'll make our way to the Blacktree Inn, settle in the horses and ponies, get a bite to eat, and then Caby will watch Jaral work on his brew-making for a while before she heads to bed.

In the morning, Caby will head out early to pick up her new armour and her pendant from the respective shops, leaving a note for the others to let them know where she went (she left verbal instructions with the inn keeper for Ducats). After she returns from those two ventures, she wants to head down to the Swan Inn and speak with Lord Vom's secretary with the rest of the party.
Back to top Go down
Llama

Llama

Pig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime13th December 2010, 7:48 pm

Jaral takes his mind off of matters at his own inn back in Gatherhold by busying himself with the intricacies of brewing. He stirs his brew, listens to the gentle fizzing as his yeast do their work, smells the wort, and gives it a quick taste before covering the barrel. While doing this he chats with Adolf, asking how long he's been an innkeeper, asking for stories of his worst guests, if there is anything he would change in his inn, etc. Nothing probing, just polite talk between innkeepers.

In the morning he heads back to the bank to check on a return message from Grabe.
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime14th December 2010, 12:22 am

Llama wrote:
Jaral takes his mind off of matters at his own inn back in Gatherhold by busying himself with the intricacies of brewing. He stirs his brew, listens to the gentle fizzing as his yeast do their work, smells the wort, and gives it a quick taste before covering the barrel. While doing this he chats with Adolf, asking how long he's been an innkeeper, asking for stories of his worst guests, if there is anything he would change in his inn, etc. Nothing probing, just polite talk between innkeepers.

In the morning he heads back to the bank to check on a return message from Grabe.

He is very glad to chat with another innkeeper, particularly one he isn't in competition with! He trades stories about guests, employees, and his favourite food and drink. He clues you in to many of the preferences of the locals. His father was a brewer, and many liked Blacktree Beer, but there was little time for such things during the war and he died before teaching Adolf. One thing that becomes abundantly clear, though he never addresses it directly, is that Vulyar suffered badly during the war.

It becomes clear that he holds all his staff in high esteem, and feels they are honest and hard working, as well as being good friends.

Push, the warforged tavernmaid, is often at the front of his thoughts. There are those who pass through, and those in Vulyar as well, who look down on all warforged. There are those warforged who have little mind or will of their own, being only a bit brighter than zombies or such. These are the majority. But then there are those warforged who are more. These were the ones who shined in the Great War, of course, earning commissions and even medals when it was allowed. It is such as these who are the traveling companion of the King of Brelend, or the captain of The Unquenchable, that great flying battleship of Thrane.

He doesn't know what Push did during the war, but he's seen her fight four highwaymen, all with swords, and her with nothing. "And she put zem all out de door, you see! All de jaws in the Blacktree were gaping that night, I can tell you. But the moment she turns back round, you see, they all shut up and go back to dere beers!" He lowers his voice a bit "some there are who might call it blasphemy, but I know.. she has a soul, you see. Just like you und me."
Back to top Go down
Llama

Llama

Pig

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime14th December 2010, 12:19 pm

Jaral leans in close to softly reply, "I'm not one to worry about blasphemy, and it is not my place to say who the gods have given a soul and who they have not." He straightens up and loudly announces to the crowd inside the inn, "You are fortunate to have such greatness in your employ! A round on me!", in hopes the staff overhears the compliment. He is certain to give each employee a generous tip

ooc - Had to do some background reading on the Eberron setting; I really don't know much about the social status of Warforged.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   Eberron One - Page 30 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eberron One
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next