The Basement
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike's Basement, a forum for playing Mike's D and D games. Click 'Index' for the posts and games, click 'Portal' for a website front page.

HomeFront PageGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Which Rules?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

Which Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Which Rules?   Which Rules? I_icon_minitime4th September 2010, 9:53 pm

D&D changed a lot over the years. We last played 2nd Edition. Since then, there has been 3rd edition, 3.5, and now 4th edition. I have pdf files of all of them, and have looked through them. I am thinking, right now, that instead of using 4E we will use the Pathfinder game. It's sort of like what 4th edition might have been if they hadn't totally changed the entire game.

If you don't have the books, I have some of them on pdf.

Pathfinder Online Reference

Pathfinder Game

You guys should check it out though, and let me know what you think.

Last edited by DM on 5th September 2010, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://migellito.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

Which Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Rules?   Which Rules? I_icon_minitime5th September 2010, 6:56 pm

Here's something else too.. if you remember, I had everyone use different ability scores, plus a % score for appearance. I've decided to use the six standard ability scores now, since a lot of the new skills and feats actually use charisma in ways that make sense. Plus, it's difficult for someone to use their own charisma over the internet.

When we have our character sheets, we can convert them over to Pathfinder pretty simply.

Look at your Dexterity and Agility scores.. we'll be doing away with agility, so take whichever of the two scores you want and use it for your dexterity.

Relabel your Education score as Wisdom.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a Charisma score.. we could use the remaining score from whichever of dexterity and agility you didn't keep, or we could somehow factor that in with your appearance rating.. not sure yet.
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

Which Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Rules?   Which Rules? I_icon_minitime6th September 2010, 6:13 pm

Here's something else to think about also. In addition to having the choice to go forward with the rules version we use, we can also choose to go backward. Right now I'm also running a play-by-forum game for members of my DDO [dungeons & dragons online mmo] guild. I'm using pdf copies of the original 3 little brown d&d books from 1974. There is a 'retro-clone' version of these rules available for free.

Whitebox PDF

The whole idea is simple, open rules that allow for a lot of customisation and creativity. Less rules / more imagination. So far it's working out really well. Another retro-clone available now is one based on the Tom Moldvay Basic rules. Moldvay took the stuff from the Little Brown Books, all of their supplements, and some of Gygax's articles from early Dragon Magazines and edited and modified it into a really nice system. It's the first version of D&D that I played back in '81. It came out about a year before the first AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide. This is a link to the retro-clone version, and it's currently the most popular ruleset among the 'old-school gaming renaissance.'

Labyrinth Lord free PDF

For completeness, here's a retro-clone of the old 1st edition rules. It's cleaned up and presented with much better organisation than Gygax's original.

Osric free PDF
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which Rules? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Rules?   Which Rules? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Rules?
Page 1 of 1