Mike's Basement, a forum for playing Mike's D and D games. Click 'Index' for the posts and games, click 'Portal' for a website front page.
 
HomeFront PageCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Eberron One

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   31st October 2010, 4:14 pm

Cole wrote:
DM wrote:

As you talk, you see revelers in groups coming and going. They sing, drink, eat, get more drunk, then leave to apparently head for one of the other taverns in town. You also see several dwarves who eat by themselves, stay fairly quiet, and then go upstairs. Many of the people eye them suspiciously, and the more drunk of the revelers give them outright dirty looks.

Ducats will ask one of the serving girls what they groups of people are celebrating.

"Oh, it's the Beerfest sir! It's almost over, tomorrow is the last night. It's been on all month. Tomorrow, after noontide, the gardens will open again and all the bands will come out, and then there'll be a big feast to Arawai."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
chaosclockwork

avatar

Posts : 20
Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   31st October 2010, 5:38 pm

Tagor orders the sausage-and-cheese plate (1sp), a bed for the night (3 sp), and, after some deliberation, a round of cheap beer for himself and his dining companions (2sp). When his plate comes, he says grace briefly over it, then tucks in.

"Oh, this is quite good! Best cheese I've had in a while, I have to say. Hope the beer's as good.

"It's always nice, coming into a town for a festival. Given how that in the year it is, this'll probably be the last of the harvest celebrations. Nothing but long nights and cold winds ahead, I suppose.

"So, Mister Ducats, does anything in particular bring you and your friend Cash to this city?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cole

avatar

Posts : 191
Join date : 2010-10-15

Character sheet
Name: Ducats Deneith
Race: Human
Class: Thief

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   31st October 2010, 6:08 pm

chaosclockwork wrote:
Tagor orders the sausage-and-cheese plate (1sp), a bed for the night (3 sp), and, after some deliberation, a round of cheap beer for himself and his dining companions (2sp). When his plate comes, he says grace briefly over it, then tucks in.

"Oh, this is quite good! Best cheese I've had in a while, I have to say. Hope the beer's as good.

"It's always nice, coming into a town for a festival. Given how that in the year it is, this'll probably be the last of the harvest celebrations. Nothing but long nights and cold winds ahead, I suppose.

"So, Mister Ducats, does anything in particular bring you and your friend Cash to this city?"

"Hey, I like that, "Mr. Ducats." No, nothin' much, my uncle just said maybe I ought to take a train somewhere a while. Nice here, I think. Hard to understand what anyone's sayin' though. I always like a preacher man though."

(Ducats has a silver Sovereign Host holy symbol on a chain.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   1st November 2010, 12:44 am

[IC]
Caby thanks Tagor for the drink and sips at her beer while listening to the stories Karl tells her, occasionally scratching at her left side. After Karl is done talking, she turns to Ducats and Tagor and says, "It seems to me like the Emerald Claw weren't a very good lot, sure. I would be interested in going with Karl to his farm tomorrow to see what I can do to help his dad. Plus," she continues, "I never had much need for coin on the plains - we always bartered and traded for goods. It looks like I'm going to need more of these soft yellow coins and the shiny silvers ones if I'm going to remain in a populated area for long. There might be an opportunity to transfer some wealth from what's left of the Emerald Claw to our own pockets, and do the folks around here some good in the process."

As the serving girl who responded to Ducats earlier passes by again, Caby stops her and says, "It seems like everyone is upset with the dwarves around here. Why is that?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   1st November 2010, 2:34 am

The serving wench (by the way, if you imagine the label on a bottle of St. Pauli Girl, you won't be far off) immediately becomes uncomfortable, but not unfriendly. She leans in a bit before she says "well, zey deserted us during de war, didn't zey. Took advantage of de war and crowned dere own king. But I always smile.. dere silver still bends. We have tal here, if you want miss." She gives a big smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   1st November 2010, 2:27 pm

[OOC]
Mike, I'm missing some info here that my character should probably know. What is "tal"?

[IC]
Caby leans over to Karl and says, "I think I have enough for you to stay in the common room again this evening, if that is alright with you. I do not have much silver, either, at the moment. You can sleep there tonight and then tomorrow we can head to Von to talk to your father. How far is it to Von, by the way?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   1st November 2010, 4:56 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
[OOC]
Mike, I'm missing some info here that my character should probably know. What is "tal"?

[IC]
Caby leans over to Karl and says, "I think I have enough for you to stay in the common room again this evening, if that is alright with you. I do not have much silver, either, at the moment. You can sleep there tonight and then tomorrow we can head to Von to talk to your father. How far is it to Von, by the way?"

Tal is tea, an invention of the halflings.

Karl is happy to hear about the common room, and says about Vom "oh it's not far. Only 3 days walk."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   1st November 2010, 5:16 pm

DM wrote:
Tal is tea, an invention of the halflings.

Karl is happy to hear about the common room, and says about Vom "oh it's not far. Only 3 days walk."

Oh, TAL... Yeah, sure, I know what THAT is. I thought you said... umm... TAIL. I had no idea what tail meant.

Embarassed

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   1st November 2010, 5:26 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
DM wrote:
Tal is tea, an invention of the halflings.

Karl is happy to hear about the common room, and says about Vom "oh it's not far. Only 3 days walk."

Oh, TAL... Yeah, sure, I know what THAT is. I thought you said... umm... TAIL. I had no idea what tail meant.

Embarassed


One never knows, they might have tail available at the inn as well.. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 2:01 am

With heavy food and good beer, all your various travels are beginning to catch up with your ability to stay awake. In fact, you hear Cash Money snoring under the table.

A bath is included with your first night's stay, if you wish, and if you partake, the water is nice and hot. The room for baths is upstairs, and has 3 tubs in it.. although I assume part of you will be taking turns. The only one of you who found the lighting unusual downstairs was Caby, who had only rarely seen cold fire crystals before. Upstairs, both in the bath and rooms, it's oil lanterns.

As you're getting settled in, you can still hear a few revelers, both downstairs, and out the windows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 11:02 am

[IC]
"Well, lads, I'm knackered, so it's off to a bath and a bed for me. Karl, I'll make sure your room is covered for the evening. And then we can meet up here in the common area in the morning and figure out our travel plans."

Caby gets up and approaches the proprietor and says, “That young man over there,” and she points to Karl, “needs a bed in the common sleeping room tonight. I’ll cover it for him.” She then gives Frau Blucher a silver piece. “Thank you for the meal – it was delicious!” She then heads upstairs to her room to set her stuff down and prepare for her bath (which she will be taking alone, incidentally).

The next morning, feeling rested and refreshed, but obviously looking like she has something on her mind, Caby waits in the common area for the rest of the party. When her eyes lose focus, it can be noted that she absentmindedly rubs at her left side with her right hand every now and then.

Breakfast, being the most important meal of the day, is something she will try to order and eat before they head out. Again, she will offer to share her meager meal with Karl as soon as he shows up. Once the others are there and seated she says, “Ok, what’s the plan?”

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 2:24 pm

Frau Blucher is downstairs greeting the overnight guests as they come down. Many of the guests seem to be regulars or staying for the long-term, and they greet her with a hearty "Good morning Frau Blucher!" You hear many horses neighing outside as the town starts its day.

The inn is filled with the smell of baking bread and hot tal. The fare is the nigh-legendary East Karrnathi 'big breakfast' with hot bratwurst, fresh bread, strong hot tal, half a dozen different kinds of eggs, cheeses, cold sliced sausage, and the two signature items of the region,

kolatchies


and kifli bread


After breakfast, Karl will lead you up the main street, away from the train station toward a tall baroque stone fountain. You pass ornate storefronts and taverns setting up their beer gardens for later in the day, all decorated with bundled sheaves of grain and colourful cloth ribbons and banners. Around the tall fountain, it's cold waters not yet frozen for the year, and topped with a large statue of a knight, sword skyward, lies the intersection of the main street and the Orien Highroad. The whole intersection is paved with cobblestones, and the paving continues off along both directions of the Highroad. Cloth banners of orange and yellow ripple in the chill breeze from the high top of the statue up to the corner gargoyles of the buildings here.

Karl says "Vom is this way," and turns right, onto the highroad. You see soldiers and townspeople talking happily as you pass by a few more businesses and many large houses. You meet a formation of soldiers in heavy armor, marching toward the center of town. The people go silent, and take to the sides of the street as they pass. You notice a couple of the helms contain only skulls.

At the edge of town, you continue northeast along the cobbled highroad. The day very quickly becomes completely overcast with light grey clouds. A chill wind blows from the north, brushing the dry brown grass. The fields all around have been cut and harvested, and tall sheaves stand out in many of them, rustling in the wind. Occasionally, you can see the heavy pyramidal stones of the train line through low rolling hills and fields to the south, and at times the highroad comes within 30 or 40 yards of the train.

Later in the day, as a train goes past headed east, you realise you've seen no one at all on the road since you were a mile or so out of town, when you saw the last wagon headed into Vulyar. The road remains deserted for the remainder of the day, with only a couple of rabbits seen before nightfall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 4:19 pm

[IC]
While walking, Caby tries to make light talk with Karl, trying to find out what the cause of his father's problems is.

When they stop for the night, she'll suggest they sleep in shifts and have one of the three adults take turns in 2-3 hour intervals. She offers to take the first one for 3 hours. And when it starts, she'll let the fire die down to hot embers to reduce its effects on her night vision and then she'll ready her bow and attempt to remain concealed during her watch by hiding in cover outdoors (9 in 10 chance).

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 4:19 pm

The member 'ehiker133' has done the following action : Roll dice

'd10' :
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 5:16 pm

After spending more time with Karl, you're all starting to get a better picture of what's been going on. A short distance into the low, grassy, rolling hills north of Vom, there is a small ravine or gorge, probably not much more than 20 or 30 feet across. During the early to middle part of the war the Emerald Claw had some sort of small base there. It became abandoned when the Emerald Claw was outlawed for treason.

For many years now, children have been told not to go out there. The people of Vom avoid it, clearly considering it a mysterious and frightening place, and they surround it with shadowy tales of danger and gloom.

Recently, within the last few weeks, some teenagers from a nearby farm are rumoured to have gone out there exploring (or perhaps to drink beer and try to scare themselves). They haven't been seen since. There are some around Vom who say they ran away to Korth or somewhere, but even these seem frightened as they say this. At the Zeeg farm near Karl's, one of those furthest north around Vom, the family hasn't been seen in at least two weeks. Karl's father became certain that something terrible had happened to them when they failed to bring their crops in, and let their fields of barley go past harvest and to ruin.

Last week, out after dark finishing up chores, Karl saw lights on in the Zeeg house, but the next day there was still no one there. It was after this that Karl's father (also named Karl) sent him to Vulyar to try to find help from either the soldiers stationed at the barracks there, or from likely looking travelers.


Nothing comes near in the night, but at one point you thought you saw two red spots in the distance, like eyes. Then they were gone. The morning dawns grey and chilly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
chaosclockwork

avatar

Posts : 20
Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 9:18 pm

Tagor enthusiastically volunteers to accompany Caby and Karl (and, presumably, Ducats) to Vom. He keeps a stream of chatter up for an hour or so at a time, but gets quiet as the landscape rolls on. At some point, he'll ask Karl if any soldiers or other travelers had been keen to follow up.

That night, assuming no objections from Ducats, he takes last watch, at the end of which he prays to the Host (picking up 'Protection from Evil' for now), and then starts cooking a meager breakfast for the group.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 9:28 pm

chaosclockwork wrote:
Tagor enthusiastically volunteers to accompany Caby and Karl (and, presumably, Ducats) to Vom. He keeps a stream of chatter up for an hour or so at a time, but gets quiet as the landscape rolls on. At some point, he'll ask Karl if any soldiers or other travelers had been keen to follow up.

That night, assuming no objections from Ducats, he takes last watch, at the end of which he prays to the Host (picking up 'Protection from Evil' for now), and then starts cooking a meager breakfast for the group.


Young Karl explains that the soldiers simply didn't believe him, and the few other travelers he talked to said they couldn't help "except one, who took 5 silvers to meet me at the edge of town, but then I couldn't find him."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   2nd November 2010, 9:53 pm

You travel the rest of the 2nd day on the highroad, and you see 3 trains go by on their way east. One passes while the line is quite close to the road, and it's a windy, howling, thunderous experience. You camp the next night by the road again, and in the morning Karl says that after walking for about two hours there'll be a tree he recognises, and that's where you turn north.

You've seen very few trees, but after a couple hours you see one near the highroad which Karl points to, and Karl turns north onto a two-wheel dirt wagon track. You walk north along the tracks until late afternoon, when you see a town up ahead. Karl welcomes you to Vom, which looks to be a hamlet of perhaps 100-200 people.

Karl, sort of by default, since he's returning after at least 6 days away, will head for his father's farm. If you would rather stop in Vom first for anything, all you need do is let him know, and he will show you around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 12:19 am

[IC]
Caby says, "Karl, we'll follow you to you father's farm first and talk to him. Then, we could either explore the neighbor's house at that point or if we need any supplies we can try to find them in town before we head out."

[OOC]
Eh... maybe we can find a local who has some military experience we could hire to go down with us? Don't all citizens of this realm have to do at least two years military service?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 3:44 am

ehiker133 wrote:
[IC]
Caby says, "Karl, we'll follow you to you father's farm first and talk to him. Then, we could either explore the neighbor's house at that point or if we need any supplies we can try to find them in town before we head out."

[OOC]
Eh... maybe we can find a local who has some military experience we could hire to go down with us? Don't all citizens of this realm have to do at least two years military service?

They do indeed, that's a good point Smile This hamlet, though small, is big enough to have an inn. Karl will take you out to meet his father, pointing out a few places in town along the way. Your path lies up the main street and out the north end of town, and their farm lies about 2 miles north and a bit west.

I'll update further tomorrow, but feel free to rp as you like Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
ehiker133

avatar

Buffalo
Posts : 559
Join date : 2010-10-16
Age : 44
Location : Saint Peters, MO

Character sheet
Name: Caby Darkbriar
Race: Halfling
Class: Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 12:12 pm

[IC]
"So, Ducats...," Caby glances over at him as they walk, "What brings you and Cash to this part of the realm? Were you headed in a particular direction? Or was it more like an, 'Anywhere but here,' sort of thing?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.greystonegreen.blogspot.com/
Cole

avatar

Posts : 191
Join date : 2010-10-15

Character sheet
Name: Ducats Deneith
Race: Human
Class: Thief

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 2:35 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
[IC]
"So, Ducats...," Caby glances over at him as they walk, "What brings you and Cash to this part of the realm? Were you headed in a particular direction? Or was it more like an, 'Anywhere but here,' sort of thing?"

"Um, my uncle said maybe I better get on a train for a while and then he said maybe he'd just better go and buy me a ticket, because, he, was, uh, tired of me, uh, 'overweighing my options.' So I guess that's the third one."

"I got no use for these Emerald Clawers, though, every one I ever seen's been full of some shit."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 8:27 pm

As you walk through town, people seem somewhat tense, but it's not aimed at your small group. They greet you warmly. You notice the inn, which is also apparently the only tavern, has a sign bearing a giant with bushy hair and masses of wooly hair on its arms and legs. None of the shops have writing on their signs.

You make it out to Karl's family's farm as the day nears sundown. His father, Karl Sr., is out working, and trots over to meet you all and happily greet his son. He's very proud that he's brought help, and after some basic introduction he invites you inside for a hot dinner. He says he'll explain more over the meal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
Cole

avatar

Posts : 191
Join date : 2010-10-15

Character sheet
Name: Ducats Deneith
Race: Human
Class: Thief

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 8:58 pm

DM wrote:
As you walk through town, people seem somewhat tense, but it's not aimed at your small group. They greet you warmly. You notice the inn, which is also apparently the only tavern, has a sign bearing a giant with bushy hair and masses of wooly hair on its arms and legs. None of the shops have writing on their signs.

You make it out to Karl's family's farm as the day nears sundown. His father, Karl Sr., is out working, and trots over to meet you all and happily greet his son. He's very proud that he's brought help, and after some basic introduction he invites you inside for a hot dinner. He says he'll explain more over the meal.

"Somewhere I ought to do with my dog?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DM
Admin
avatar

Horse
Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-09-03
Age : 50
Location : Michigan

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   3rd November 2010, 9:16 pm

Cole wrote:

"Somewhere I ought to do with my dog?"

Karl Sr. starts to say you can let him run around, but then a worried look crosses his face "you'd better bring him inside." and he smiles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://migellito.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Eberron One   

Back to top Go down
 
Eberron One
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Basement :: Eberron - Labyrinth Lord :: The Party-
Jump to: