The Basement
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike's Basement, a forum for playing Mike's D and D games. Click 'Index' for the posts and games, click 'Portal' for a website front page.

HomeFront PageGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Game Rules

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet
Name: Billaro
Race: Human
Class: Mage

Game Rules Empty
PostSubject: Game Rules   Game Rules I_icon_minitime3rd September 2010, 9:26 pm

We're using the Pathfinder game rules. Pathfinder is the accepted inheritor of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons tradition, often referred to as D&D 3.75. It's the natural progression for a game with characters who started out as 2nd Edition characters, and requires the least amount of conversion. The majority of the rules are available online for free. Many of the people writing the Pathfinder rules were the people who wrote the 3rd edition and 3.5 edition D&D rules, who then left the company when 4th edition came out.

Here is the reference website:
Pathfinder Online Reference

Any rules we add that aren't covered there, I'll add to this thread.

Last edited by DM on 7th December 2010, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://migellito.blogspot.com/
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

Game Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Rules   Game Rules I_icon_minitime9th September 2010, 5:55 pm

Spell Points

Wizard = Int + (Wis/2) + 1d6 per level

Cleric, Druid, Ranger = Wis + (Int/2) + 1d6 per level

Bard, Paladin, Sorcerer = Chr + (Wis/2) + 1d6 per level

Rather than the cast-and-forget magic system based on the books of Jack Vance, which every version of D&D uses to some extent, I found that this much more open system promoted more creative gameplay. Under a Vancian system, there are a lot of good spells that honestly just never get used since the circumstances where they might be more useful than something like a Fireball are rare enough that hardly anyone ever memorises them. I think this outweighs the 'interesting gameplay' factor of having to plan hours ahead for what spells you're likely to need for the day.

At first level, your spell point total is equal to your prime caster ability stat. In other words, Wisdom for clerics, Intelligence for mages, Charisma for a bard, etc. To that you add half your Constitution score. To that sum, you add half of your Wisdom score, unless it is your main casting stat, in which case you would add half your Intelligence.

Your 'main casting stat' is the one your class uses in the Pathfinder rules to determine whether you get bonus spells.
Quote :
The ability that governs bonus spells depends on what type of spellcaster your character is: Intelligence for wizards; Wisdom for clerics, druids, and rangers; and Charisma for bards, paladins, and sorcerers.

If your bonus-spell-ability is high enough to get you bonus spells, this becomes bonus spellpoints instead. At first level, you add the number of points it would take to cast the bonus spells shown in the table.
Here is the Table

How many points does it take to cast a spell?
Here's a quick list:
Level 1: 1 point
Level 2: 3 pts
Level 3: 6 pts
Level 4: 10 pts
Level 5: 15 pts
Level 6: 21 pts
Level 7: 28 pts
Level 8: 36 pts
Level 9: 45 pts

As you can see, it's the points required to cast the previous level spell, plus points equal to the current spell's level. Mathematically, it's the additive cumulative of the spell's level.

When you gain a caster level, you gain 1d6 spell points, plus the general modifier from your main casting stat. This modifier is the first column in the table I linked above, where for example 10 to 11 = no modifier, 12 to 13 = plus 1, 14 to 15 = plus 2, etc.

Last edited by DM on 25th September 2010, 6:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

Game Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Rules   Game Rules I_icon_minitime9th September 2010, 6:13 pm

I'm not sure how clear the spell point post is, so I thought I'd do an example, using Mike's character, Siluse.

His casting class is going to be mage, so his casting related ability score is Intelligence.

Int 16 +
half his con 8 +
half his wis 3 +
ability bonus for high int 3 +
points for bonus spells: one first lvl, 1 +
one second lvl 3 +
one third lvl 6 +

This adds up to 40 spell points at first level.
Every level of mage that he makes, he will roll 1d6+3 for more spell points.
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

Game Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Rules   Game Rules I_icon_minitime2nd October 2010, 12:41 pm

Drow Characters
Drow are defined by their class levels—they do not possess racial Hit Dice. All drow have the following racial traits.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, –2 Constitution: Drow are nimble and manipulative.

Medium: Drow are Medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Drow have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision: Drow can see in the dark up to 120 feet.

Drow Immunities: Drow are immune to magic sleep effects and get a +2 racial bonus to saves against enchantment spells.

Keen Senses: Drow receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.

Spell Resistance: Drow possess spell resistance equal to 6 plus their class levels.

Spell-Like Abilities: A drow can cast dancing lights, darkness, and faerie fire each once per day, using his total character level as his caster level.

Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds drow for 1 round; on subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.

Poison Use: See Special Abilities, above.

Weapon Familiarity: Drow are proficient with the hand crossbow, rapier, and short sword.

Languages: Drow begin play speaking Elven and Undercommon. Drow with high Intelligence can choose bonus languages from the following: Abyssal, Aklo, Aquan, Common, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnome, or Goblin.
Back to top Go down
DM
Admin
DM

Horse

Character sheet

Game Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Rules   Game Rules I_icon_minitime18th April 2011, 1:33 pm

I think the idea and process of converting characters to Pathfinder has probably put some people off. I don't blame you Smile After some experience with the newer versions of D&D like 3.0, 3.5 and Pathfinder, I'm not really that pleased with them. I think I would rather just keep the characters just as they were and continue using 2nd Edition, just like we always did.

As it was, when we played we basically used 1st Edition AD&D rules with character stuff like proficiencies tossed in from 2nd edition. I'm more prone these days to stop worrying about all those tons of proficiencies and just basically go all 1st edition.

I'd rather stop worrying about the rules so much and just play these guys again Smile If we can get going and have a few old timers doing stuff, I'd love to get some new people into the Cannibals too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Game Rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game Rules   Game Rules I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game Rules
Page 1 of 1